One of the treatment options that can help many people reduce or even eliminate their sleep apnea symptoms is Sleep Hygiene. These simple, but effective methods of changing lifestyle habits in order to get a better night’s rest and prevent obstructive sleep apnea from occurring due to the collapsing of the airway, have proven to work for many mild sleep apnea cases.
Some of the most common lifestyle changes to stop snoring in Idaho Falls include, but are not limited to:
- Losing weight. If you are overweight your physician and sleep specialist may recommend starting a diet and exercise program in order to reduce your sleep apnea symptoms.
- Eliminate nasal congestion. You can do this by using over-the-counter nasal decongestants and making sure that your pillow is clean and free from allergens, such as dust and pet dander.
- Create a dark sleeping environment. Make sure that your bedroom is set at a comfortable temperature and is peaceful and devoid of any bright lights.
- Try to avoid eating a large meal before you go to bed. Eat at least three hours before you try to lie down for the evening.
- Avoid alcohol, sleeping pills, nicotine, caffeine and other stimulants or relaxants before bed. If you are going to consume any of these try to do it at least four hours before you go to bed.
- Don’t fight sleep. If you can’t fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and try to do something that will induce sleeping. Usually cleaning, folding laundry or doing something monotonous will do the trick.
- Keep a regular schedule for morning and night, even on weekends. Try to avoid naps if possible throughout the week as well.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Try taking a bath, reading, drinking tea, doing some light stretching, etc, before crawling into bed.
- Leave your cell phone and other electronics outside of the bedroom. If you use your phone as your alarm, try opting for an actual alarm clock and keep your phone in the next room.
These sleep hygiene practices can be created in a way that’s specific to each person. Contact us today for more information about how you can naturally get back to sleeping the whole night through.