What Causes Snoring in Idaho Falls?August 21, 2018
Can You Stop Snoring With Surgery?November 24, 2018
If you believe that you or a loved one may be suffering from TMJ syndrome, you need to discuss your options with a TMJ specialist in Idaho Falls immediately. Letting TMJ syndrome persist can cause permanent damage and result in the need for surgery that is irreversible and not always effective in treating the problem. Taking a proactive approach to combating TMJ is your best course of action. This article discusses various Idaho Falls TMJ treatments and therapies that have been proven to dramatically reduce TMJ syndrome symptoms.
TMJ Therapy Options
- Physical Therapy – Physical therapy for TMJ syndrome could include a combination of exercises designed to strengthen and stretch the muscles of the jaw, alongside heat, ice, and ultrasounds.
- Mouth Guards or Oral Splints – Wearing a mouth guard or oral splint over the teeth is a beneficial treatment for TMJ pain caused by grinding of teeth or misaligned teeth or bites.
- Education and Counseling – Sometimes TMJ is caused by various lifestyle choices that can be easily adjusted through simple changes in habit. These include habits like, biting your nails, leaning on your chin, grinding your teeth, clenching your jaw, etc.
TMJ Medication Options
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medication – Over the counter pain relief medication such as, Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, and Tylenol can help to assist in pain management of TMJ. Your doctor may also prescribe you strong pain medication for TMJ treatment in Idaho Falls, if the over the counter stuff isn’t taking the edge off of your pain.
- Muscle Relaxers – Muscles relaxers can be extremely effective in warding of pain and other symptoms caused by TMJ syndrome. However, this type of treatment should only be used for a few days to a week at most before additional treatment is considered.
If the above TMJ treatment and therapy options aren’t helping your TMJ, your doctor may suggest a more aggressive treatment, i.e.; surgery or injections of Botox to relieve pain. To set up an appointment with an Idaho Falls TMJ treatment specialist, contact us today. At our initial consultation we will assess the severity of your TMJ syndrome and prescribe specific treatments and therapies to get you on the fast track to recovery.